Finance Manager (Global)
Rolling applications from 9th January 2023 until position is filled
3/5 to Full time – Contract work (consulting agreement) – Remote-working
The Global Buildings Performance Network (GBPN) is a globally and regionally focused nongovernment not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide policy expertise and technical assistance to advance building energy performance and realize sustainable built environments for all. With staff members located around the World in Indonesia, India, Australia, and Europe, GBPN brings over 10 years of knowledge and innovation to sustainable building policy reform. With every project, governments leverage our intellectual capital, our experience, analysis, evidence and our network.
GBPN goal is to contribute to the building sector achieving its full energy savings and CO2 mitigation potential of more than 2.1 Gt by 2030. To do that, GBPN assists governments and industry to implement climate change actions in their building sectors that help achieve their commitment to the Paris Climate Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
GBPN will be opening legal entities in Indonesia and India in 2023 and has been implementing a more robust project management process in the past year (Click up). In this context of growth, we are looking for a Finance Manager to design and implement appropriate processes and systems compliant with legal, donor and country requirements, that ensure timely budgeting and financial management, including monitoring and analysis of expenditure, reporting and income projections, and contractual audits.
The Finance Manager designs and implements the financial structure, people and system optimization to allow proper and smooth financial management in 2023 and beyond under his responsibility.
This is a new position to expand the Finance and Administration team. The role is an excellent opportunity for whomever wants to be part of an environment and climate-focused Association working at the Global level and a vibrant international network.
- Strengthening of Finance processes and implementation of new systems
- Coordination and administration of the accounting and finance functions
- Ensuring that all financial activities and requirements internally and externally are met
- Supporting programme operations and country offices in their financial activities
- Monitoring of financial expenditure, KPIs and strategic forecasting
- Internal Project and Organisational Reporting as well as Donor/Grant reporting
- Financial management compliance with audit, legal and donor requirements
Develop a Finance function, processes, controls and systems
- High level review of current financial processes,
- Recommend optimal and sustainable financial processes and control mechanisms,
- Select the (online) financial management systems and applications
- Ensure the above address the needs and governance requirements of our growing organization (new funders, new countries, new offices)
- Structure a finance function that enables congruence among the processes, people, structures and the external environment and our funders
- Oversee the implementation of structure, people and system optimization to allow proper and smooth financial management in 2023 and beyond
Planning and Budgeting
- Develop and implement an annual finance cycle (plan) with key internal stakeholders
- Design and implement effective budgeting models for teams and the entire organisation
- Support the Human Resource planning process with HoFA and HoO
- Ensure the annual budget is developed in compliance with donor requirements
- Support budgeting for grants and project applications
- Ensure timely and accurate budgeting and quarterly rolling forecast
Transactions management and recording
- Develop and implement a transactions management and recording process to ensure accurate book-keeping – Sound transaction management and recording processes
- Manage and control all banking transactions including currency & cash management
- Complete timely Country office Salary Payments for employees and holidays, Employment & Tax declarations with country HR partners.
- Develop and implement internal control mechanisms to ensure compliance with legal and audit requirements, at HQ and country levels.
- Maintain accounting and financial records at corporate level, and ensure that country office do likewise
- Develops and applies a transparent and consistent indirect cost allocation methodology
- Ensure allocation of costs to projects and grants
- Liaise with the accountants
Financial Analysis, Monitoring and forecasting
- Monitor income and expenditure, produce expenditure reports and provide risk analysis
- Provide documented monthly briefs, succinct written analysis, explanatory notes
- Develop Key indicators (Board & Corporate & project) and report on indicators and ratios
- Produce forecasting reports, including strategic advice
Reporting and management reporting system
- Produce quarterly Organizational Budget vs Actuals report
- Ensure timely reporting of the annual operating grants, detailed project by project
- Ensure the timely preparation and reporting of grants and project reports together with the HoFA and HoO as required by donor agreements
- Produce additional reporting needed for effective program/corporate management
- Prepares cash-based or accruals-based reporting as needed
- Manage and consolidate annual financial statements, HQ and Country offices in liaison with accounting and tax firms
- Produce reporting panels, visual and graphical outputs for Dashboards and Board Pack presentations that will provide a platform for decision making on a variety of issues.
- Keep track of and communicate regularly with the Head of Finance and Admin and Head of Operations on budgeting, forecasting and risk analysis
- Work with HoO to ensure implementation of all projects are within their budget.
- Lead training of team members on the financial processes and policies.
- Support the capacity building of Country Managers and project Budgetholders
Control and Audits
- Ensure strong standards of management and accounting for donor funds
- Work with HoO and HoFA to ensure project funds are used in compliance with terms & conditions of grant agreements
- Ensure the integrity of GBPN financial procedures, internal audit systems, controls
- Work with Country Managers to ensure that in-country offices are compliant with HQ operating procedures and systems
- Ensure the ongoing storage and repository update of the audit-trail documents
- Maintain accounting and financial records at HQ level, and ensure that country office do likewise
- In charge of contractual audit with the external contracted auditors
Requirements for the role-holder
- Finance degree and/or accounting qualification (CIMA, ACCA , ACA)
- Formal accounting training required, a Degree in Business Administration, Accountancy, Economics or similar is considered an advantage
- 5-10 years relevant post-qualification experience – 4 years in a service-based organisation.
- Experience in accounting and budget management Experience in operational and financial planning, budgeting
- Experience in operational and financial planning, budgeting
- Experience of managing and controlling execution of multi-office & multi-country projects
- Methodical, Analytical and problem solving skills in a dynamic environment
- Results driven – with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong communication skills with a flexible approach
- Proficiency in English, and excellent communications skills
- Organisational skills to set up and manage processes, and prioritise workload
- Advanced excel skills, and other MS Office applications and/or Google Suite
- High attention to detail, accuracy
- Experience working in a (US-based donors) grant-funded, project-based environment;
- Experience working in an international context and diplomatic skills to interact with a range of people on different levels and with various cultural backgrounds
- Ability to create and nurture effective working relationships with the project´s budgetholders and country managers
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to work autonomously, with little supervision but in close relationship with HoFA
- Committed to GBPN´s vision, mission and values
- Oral and written communication skills in French an advantage
- Understanding of legal and accounting requirements in France, Indonesia, India
- Understanding of US nonprofit management and regulatory compliance
- Knowledge of an ERP for SMEs an added advantage
- Experience as a financial manager within an organisation of relevant scale and complexity
- The Finance Manager is part of the Finance and Administration (FA) team of the Global Head office (association loi 1901- registered in France),
- The Global Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA) manages the FA team that works closely with Country teams, the Global Head of Operations (HoO) and Executive Director.
- The Finance Manager will also interface with grantees, consultants, contractors and partners in countries, and possibly GBPN Board Members.
- Reports include in-country outsourced services & external partners (Tax & Accounting).
This role is offered as a 3/5 to full-time position as a remote-working contractor, with a fixed-term fee for service consulting contract for a period of up to 24 months subject to satisfactory performance. The contract may be extended subject to available funding.
Communication with GBPN team members around the world is largely online (Zoom), and may require working outside normal working hours to overlap with other time-zones.
How to apply
Email applications to: email@example.com (include Finance Manager (Global) in the email subject line). The position is open until filled. While there is no deadline to apply, interested candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible due to assessment on a rolling basis.
Please provide below information in your email:
1. Your CV and a cover letter detailing qualifications to perform the role, including relevant experience, and description and/or links to similar assignments. The letter should also indicate your preferred start date.
2. A one page proposal detailing your approach for the services and work described, including
number of days per week, your daily rate and total fee for services in Euro or $US Dollars including
all applicable taxes and charges.