Indonesia Country Manager
Individual Contractor Position (Remote Working)
Fixed-term Full Time – 12 months renewable – Consulting Contract
The Global Buildings Performance Network (GBPN) is a globally and regionally focused non government not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide policy expertise and technical assistance to advance building energy performance and realize sustainable built environments for all. With team members located around the World in Indonesia, India, Australia, and Europe, GBPN brings over 10 years of knowledge and innovation to sustainable building policy reform. With every project, governments leverage our intellectual capital, our experience, analysis, evidence and our network.
GBPN goal is to contribute to the building sector achieving its full energy savings and CO2 mitigation potential of more than 2.1 Gt by 2030. To do that, GBPN assists governments and industry to implement climate change actions in their building sectors that help achieve their commitment to the Paris Climate Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
Over the past two years, GBPN has experienced rapid organizational growth and expansion of services, particularly in Indonesia and India. There is also the very real issue of time running out. If we are to achieve zero emissions by 2030, incremental change is no longer enough, we need to think and act bigger and faster.
To continue on this trajectory, we’re searching for an Indonesia Country Manager.
The Country Manager will lead the GBPN Indonesia-based Team, including high-level GBPN representation in the country and build relationships with Governments, local key partners and stakeholders. Equally important is ensuring and overseeing quality project implementation work from the Indonesia-based Team, monitor Project status and provide required reports and strategic insights to GBPN Senior Management.
The Country Manager is a senior manager that is accountable for the successful completion of all project deliverables in Indonesia. This person will manage and facilitate alignment at the country level, coordinating and communicating with GBPN Global and appropriate Indonesia Government stakeholders.
Scope of Work
- Development of in-country presence for GBPN, including setting up legal entity, bank account and GBPN office, either independent or within partner NGO.
- Represent GBPN strategic and programmatic objectives in Indonesia, and ensure that GBPN Team members in Indonesia understand and commit to them.
- Lead the GBPN Indonesia-Based team and assist in building GBPN capabilities in the country by ensuring that GBPN has the expertise and capacity to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Through the management of assigned country team members, ensure projects, plans and operations are executed smoothly
and are aligned with the Project Portfolio Manager and stakeholder’s priorities and are implemented within budget.
- Ensure that Donors are very satisfied with the work outputs and country strategy ensuring a high standard of technical quality and compliance with donor requirements.
- Monitor the overall resulting impact produced by GBPN’s projects in achieving GBPN’s country objectives in Indonesia.
- Manage the development of budgets for the functioning of programs as a whole and have a leading role in activity planning.
- Communicate and coordinate with stakeholders and ED/CEO, Head of Finance and Admin, Head of Operations, and Project Portfolio Managers in resolving pending questions and issues.
- Support ED/CEO to effectively develop and manage the relationship with the key national and international stakeholders including:
○ Specifically develop and maintain strong relationships with GBPN’s local partners and program stakeholders (such as, but not limited to: Indonesia Ministry of Finance, Bali Provincial Government, Samarinda City Government, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, and Ministry of Public Works and Housing),
○ Develop and manage the relationship with donors, government entities, GBPN local partners and stakeholders, and other potential contact in the public and private sectors in Indonesia
○ Become a local focal point on the relationship with Monash University Indonesia, in coordination with ED/CEO
○ Work with the team in Indonesia in building strong and long-term relationships with the Government and Stakeholders
- Support ED/CEO and Global Management Group to identify and participate in program and donor development and/or grant opportunities within Indonesia
- Assist in strategic planning, Grant proposal writing and Design of Grant programs and assist in design and implementation of new projects.
- Develop, implement, communicate and enforce GBPN policies and procedures that meet the requirements of GBPN donors and sound management practice.
- Ensure appropriate financial, administrative and team management of GBPN Indonesia operations including all functional areas (Operations, Finance/Admin, HR, Research, M&E)
- Provide support, oversight and act as a mentor, a guide and develop all country team members.
Special Skills and Knowledge
- Diplomatic skills to interact with a range of people on different levels and with various cultural backgrounds
- Results driven – with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Networking ability
- Leadership skills
- Negotiation skills and perseverance
- Strong Project Management skills and Strong project reporting skills
- Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Strategic mindset
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English and ability to work in an international environment
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form – Presentation skills
- Excellent computer skills including using the Click up Project Management online Platform
- Ability to work autonomously and deliver timely results
- Ability to handle conflict and work under pressure
- Excellent relations with the Government, donors and key stakeholders in Indonesia. Work with partners such as governmental agencies, NGOs, political affiliations, and communities
- Experience in dealing with multiple stakeholders
- Work with GBPN technical team, project managers, expert consultants as well as the various country offices, divisions and departments of local government or GBPN network partners
Educational Background and Experience
- Masters Degree in Public Policy, Economics, Architecture, Business Administration or similar degree/qualification
- At least 10 years experience in Managing Teams in International climate-mitigation and adaptation projects in Indonesia at national and subnational levels, specific buidings sector experience is an added advantage
- Proven project management and organisational and/or program development experience
- Consulting and/or NGO experience
- Networking experience in Indonesia
- Team and financial management experience
- Strategic agility
- People and team focussed ethics and values
- Business acumen
- Cross–cultural agility
- Command skills
- Interpersonal savvy
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Integrity and trust
Conditions and job circumstance
- Some travel within Indonesia
- Possible travel internationally (to Europe/USA/across SEA)
- Flexibility in working hours essential
This position is available for immediate commencement and is offered as a fixed-term fee for service under a consulting contract for approximately 20 days per month over a 12-month-period with possibility for extension based on performance.
GBPN requires the consultant to work from their normal place of work. Communication with GBPN team members around the world is largely online and may require working outside normal working hours.
In this role you will be reporting to the Executive Director/CEO who is responsible for global organisational development, fundraising, strategic planning, program implementation, the financial and ESG performance of GBPN.
How to apply
Email proposals by 26 August 2022 to: email@example.com (include Indonesia Country Manager in the email subject line).
- Your CV and a cover letter detailing qualifications to perform the role, including relevant experience, and description and/or links to similar assignments. The letter should also indicate your preferred start date.
- A proposal detailing your approach for the services and work described, including number of days per week, your daily rate and total fee for services in $US Dollars including all applicable taxes and charges.