The Chinese Building Industry is experiencing an unprecedented boom as China’s economy rapidly grows. This has direct consequences on China’s green house gas emission (GHG) levels resulting from the use of energy in buildings. GBPN works in partnership with Chinese experts on specific programmes to help decision-makers craft building energy performance policy-packages that can improve the energy performance of new and existing buildings in China, and contain the growth of CO2 emissions from buildings.
The building sector’s growth evidently results from its demographic and evolutions. According to statistics, from 1996 to 2008 approximately 130 million rural residents left rural areas to settle down in cities, leading to a decline in the rural population from 850 million to 720 million. As much as the building sector will continue to boom, it is nearly inconceivable to measure its magnitude.
The GBPN activities in China aim at facilitating international exchange of knowledge and expertise on best-practice policies for low energy, carbon and energy efficient buildings in China. We provide a common platform to identify and translate Chinese best practices for global dissemination, facilitate Chinese and international knowledge exchange and capacity building. We support Chinese institutions to identify and achieve the abatement potential of the Chinese building sector.
The GBPN has identified several priority initiatives:
- Improve building code enforcement
- Expand policies to accelerate existing building retrofit
- Demonstrate potential for low-energy buildings through validation of building energy performance
Recent Research includes:
- Investigating applicable international best practices for ESCO business models for building energy efficiency retrofitting
- A review of Building Energy Efficiency Policies in China made in collaboration with ACEEE and Chinese Experts.
- Review of China's approach to building energy code implementation for IPEEC
- Review of Chinese building energy policy strategy for APEC: Asia-Pacific Building Codes Forum Workshop Outcomes and Opportunities for Collaboration to Improve Building Energy Codes in APEC Economies
- [Tool] The GBPN Knowledge Platform now Available in Chinese
- [Report] China could cut carbon emissions significantly with incentives for energy efficient buildings
- [Tool] The Mandarin Version of the Glossary is Out
- [Report] ESCO models for the retrofit of existing buildings in China
- [Project] Moving Ahead in China
- [Tool] The Policy Tool for Renovation Now Available in Chinese
Related Report Bundles
- Building Energy Efficiency: Best Practice Policies and Policy Packages
- Building Energy Efficiency Policies in China - Status Report
- Achieving Scale in Energy-efficient Buildings in China: A View from the Construction and Real Estate Sectors
- ESCO models for the retrofit of existing buildings in China